We Deserve Leadership that will listen to all the people.
That’s Shirley Allenbrand.
Born and raised in Olathe, Kansas, Shirley has been working and serving the community since she was 14. She worked in the cornfields in nearby farms raising money to help take care of her parents. Not an easy job for a young girl. Her upbringing substantiated a work ethic and strong leadership throughout her personal and professional experiences.
Shirley has served in a variety of leadership roles supporting the Olathe community at large. She is a member of the Olathe Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Planning Councils, American Health Care Association, and Women Who Mean Business. She is the Founder of the Shirley Fund for Cardiology Health at The University of Kansas Health Systems (UKHS). She has been appointed to the Heart-Funding Council, UKHS, Friends of Cedar Crest (KS Governor), Advancement Board (UKHS) and Olathe Planning Commission.
Commissioner Allenbrand owns Allenbrand Interiors & Design. Shirley established Allenbrand & Associates Design, LLC to design senior living communities. As CEO of Sweet Life, she led teams in the design and development of Elderly Continuum Living Communities, building the first-ever, award-winning, special care residence for people with Alzheimer’s disease (which served as a nationwide model).
Shirley resides in Cedar Creek, Olathe with Chase, her Havanese dog. Her children, Travis (Heather) and Tiffany, and stepchildren Jay and Katie are proud of their mother as she serves as County Commissioner for the 6th District.
6th District Board & Committee Assignments
• Raised two children and spoiling four grandchildren
• Attended JCCC and Mid America Nazarene University
• Member Church of the Resurrection
• Past Johnson County Business Owner
• Olathe and Lenexa Planning Commission
• Kansas Department of Commerce Merit of Housing Award recipient
• 2013 Women Who Mean Business Award
• Member of several Johnson County Chambers of CommerceBOCC liaison to Fire District 1 board
WHY SHIRLEY IS QUALIFIED
Shirley is a businesswoman with extensive experience in budgets, planning, and projects. She led a team of talented designers and staff that work to deliver distinctive designs for both residential and commercial projects. With a primary focus in Senior Care Communities, Shirley brought to the table more than two decades of experience. She has developed over $150 million in senior care communities since 1995.
Working on senior care facilities, Shirley made a name for herself as a leader in unique award-winning residential interiors delivering distinctive community-based concepts in senior living.
She has been able to take that knowledge and apply it to a variety of interiors including businesses ranging from healthcare, golf course clubhouses, commercial and residential design. She created a team that is scalable and knowledgeable to tackle large communities and individual residences.
Shirley has been involved in the civic community for decades as a leader and volunteer. She is known for her collaboration and getting things done. Her business and civic experience make her the most qualified candidate for County Chair.
- ELECTED EXPERIENCE
- CURRENT CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- CIVIC LEADERSHIP
- PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- PAST CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- NATIONAL, STATE AND LOCAL RECOGNITIONS
- Johnson County Commissioner, District 6, January 2021-present
- Johnson County Commission, Vice-Chair, 2022
- Board/Committee Assignments
- Airport Commission
- Northwest Consolidated Zoning Board
- Southwest Consolidated Zoning Board
- Commission on Aging
- Audit Committee
- Liaison to Northwest Consolidated Fire Board
- Liaison to Fire District Board
- Housing and Homeless Subcommittee
- 100 Women in Giving Olathe Schools
- Shirley Fund for Cardiovascular Health, The University of Kansas Hospital
- Heart Funding Council, The University of Kansas
- National Association of Planning Councils
- De Soto Chamber of Commerce
- Gardner Chamber of Commerce
- Olathe Chamber of Commerce
- Overland Park Chamber of Commerce
- National & Local campaign to create “Memories in the Making” program for Alzheimer’s and other Dementia Diseases that offer the non-verbal a way to communicate and capture precious memories with art. 2000
- Worked with Kansas Legislative in-writing the regulations on the Senate Bill 8 for Assisted Living.
- Instructor of Assisted Living for Kansas
- Department of Health & Environment and Kansas Health Care Association
2019 – 2021 | Allenbrand Interiors & Design, Nolte & Associates, P.A., Consultant
2006-2018 | Allenbrand & Associates Design, LLC, Ad Astra Design, LLC, Ad Astra Development, LLC
1994-2006 | The Sweet Life, Owner & Operator
- MidAmerica Nazarene University
- Johnson County Community College
- USD 233, Olathe Public Schools
- 1997, Graduate Steven Lutheran Ministry
- Olathe Rotary Club
- Olathe Noon Optimist
- Olathe Junior Service League
- Olathe United Way, Division Chair
- Olathe Red Cross, Chair
- Olathe Salvation Army Board
- City of Olathe, Audit Committee
- Olathe Planning Commission
- Lenexa Planning Commission
- Lenexa Vision 2030
- Falcon Ridge Homeowners Association, Architectural Committee
- JCPRD Theater in the Park Board
- Northeast Johnson County Chamber, Board President; Ambassador
- Leadership Northeast 1999
- Olathe Chamber, Economic Development Committee; Ambassador, Chair; Community Affairs Committee, Chair
- Leadership Olathe, 1989
- Overland Park Chamber, Political Training
- Celebrate Age, Johnson County Aging, Served with Trish Moore to Introduce Seniors To A Better Life
- On Original Board that started Heart to Heart
- TLC, Board Member, Spearheaded Remodel of Home on 151st with Local High School Student Volunteers
- The University of Kansas Medical Center, Advancement Board
- The University of Kansas Medical Center, Girls Night In, 2010 Chair
- Friends of Cedar Crest Board
- Life-Time Member Award, Olathe Chamber of Commerce 1988
- Ambassador of the Year, Olathe Chamber of Commerce, 1988
- Volunteer of the Month, Olathe Chamber of Commerce, 1986
- Rookie of the Year, Mission Chamber of Commerce, 1996
- Women Who Mean Business Award, Kansas City Business Journal, 2013
- JCPRD Employee Award of Appreciation for Dedication and Outstanding Personal Service to Johnson County Parks and Recreation, 1989
- Mayo Clinic’s The National Coalition for “Women with Heart” 2006
- Heart to Heart Airlift, Appreciation of Leadership Award 1992
- Hospitality Design Magazine featured article “Italian Job”, April Issue.
- New restaurant in West Hartford Connecticut developed by AdAstra and Bill Rizzuto, 2009
- Award of Merit, Kansas Department of Commerce and Housing, 1998
- Housing Design Magazine for “Projects in Progress – The Sweet Life at Shawnee”
- Assisted Living Today featured the design for The Sweet Life at Mission Springs
- Assisted Living Today featured the design for The Sweet Life at Rosehill for World Class Memory Care
- Nursing Homes and Long Term-Care Magazine featured The Sweet Life for management and operations
- Contemporary Long Term-Care Magazine featured The Sweet Life at Shawnee design concept that provided a “holistic approach to Alzheimer’s Care – nurturing the patient and caregiver”
- Contemporary Long-Term Care Magazine presented the “Design Award for Skilled Nursing: featuring the Alzheimer’s Challenge to The Sweet Life
- Contemporary Long-Term Care Magazine presented an award for
operations to The Sweet Life